Sunday, September 21, 2014

Recap Weeks 6-8 of Zene's Pregnancy

Zene is just into Week 8 of her pregnancy, here is her progress thus far . . .

Week 6

Zene has a noticeably larger tummy and her pregnancy will be obvious to "most" people. Her tummy seems to grow on a daily basis, and her nipples have become noticeably darker.  I've increased her food about 30%.  Zene is currently eating Merrick Grain Free Chicken & Sweet Potato *or* Holistic Grain Free kibble.  

I have also added her favorite Raw Dog Food by "I and love and you" (link: http://www.iandloveandyou.com/dog/raw-dehydrated/).  Eventually the puppies will be raised on this  entire same diet (kibble and dehydrated raw).



Week 7 and 8 

I've started to prepare my spare bedroom to setup the whelping box for Zene and the babies.  She will have soft fleece bedding, all the whelping supplies as needed, and a thermometer to monitor the the temperature (needs to remain 78-80F at all times).  

As the next week progresses, I will ensure she avoids any rough and tumble play or stimulation which might lead to the onset of early labour, as ideally your pups should spend another week in the womb. Zene has shown some signs of "nesting" at this stage in her pregnancy, and I can see and feel the puppies moving within her tummy when she's lying down (especially when I am using the doppler). 

The puppies will continue to grow and develop, and now look almost completely fully formed. Towards the 50th day of gestation, their skeletons are ossified, so I can therefore ask my vet to do an x-ray (I prefer after day 55-57).  This examination, in most cases, will enable the number of babies she is expecting and helps reassure me that no puppies have remained stuck. The x-ray is not damaging to the health of your bitch or her puppies.

Towards the end of Week 8, Zene will start producing colostrum, the forerunner to her nutrient- rich milk, and then the milk itself.  I will continue to feed her as much as she'd like (and continue to provide exercise to her for good muscle tone/easy delivery) to prepare for the birth.

Zene has begun shedding the hair on her belly in preparation for the birth - this is totally normal and no cause for alarm.

While she is noticeably bigger with that belly she is in good spirits, very cuddly - and has a great energy level (chasing lizards as usual in the yard!).  She is a TERRIFIC mom and I can't wait to see the new babies in the next 10-12 days.